Emerald Hill is an area and a preservation zone situated in the arranging regions of Newton and Orchard in Singapore. Previous home to numerous individuals from the city-state's well off Peranakan people group, it is situated close Orchard Road. Large portions of its homes highlight Chinese Baroque engineering. Emerald Hill is additionally the setting for a portion of the short stories by the late Singaporean creator Goh Sin Tub. A considerable lot of the homes were outlined by Mr R T Rajoo (Rethinam Thamby Rajoo Pillay) an unmistakable modeler of those days who passed on in 1928 at his home in Tank Road, Singapore.
The Emerald Hill territory was initially claimed by William Cuppage, a postal assistant who rose to wind up distinctly the acting Postmaster General in the 1840s. Cuppage initially rented Emerald Hill in 1837 and in 1845 secured a perpetual allow for his nutmeg ranch, which flopped in the 1860s in light of infection.
Cuppage himself moved from his home in Hill Street to Emerald Hill in the mid 1850s and lived in the range till his demise in 1872. Here he constructed two houses (Erin Lodge and Fern Cottage) where he lived. After his passing, Cuppage's estate was left to his girls and in 1890 it was sold to one of his children in-law, the attorney Edwin Koek.
Koek transformed the range into a plantation and constructed another house on the bequest, called Claregrove. Koek's plantation wander bombed, in any case, and he went bankrupt. The property was then sold to Thomas E. Rowell in 1891.
By the turn of the twentieth century, the 13.2 hectare land & its three houses (Erin, Fern and Claregrove) were the property of Seah Boon Kang and Seah Boon Kiat. In 1901, they subdivided the property into 38 plots and these were further subdivided, framing the land territory of the patio houses in Emerald Hill Road.
Every one of the three houses were consequently devastated: Fern Cottage in 1906 cleared a path for patio houses; in 1924 Claregrove offered route to the Singapore Chinese Girls' School; Erin Lodge was supplanted with more porch houses.
Emerald Hill Road was laid out in 1901 and the present porch houses close by the street were worked in the vicinity of 1901 and 1925.